Recipe by Grain Reaper Brewing
Cheddar Beer Soup
2 medium leeks (white and pale green parts only), cut into 1/4-inch dice (2 cups)
2 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch dice (1 cup)
2 celery ribs, cut into 1/4-inch dice (1 cup)
2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
1 Turkish or 1/2 California bay leaf
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups whole milk
1 3/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (14 fl oz)
1 (12-oz) bottle of your favorite malty ale
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 lb extra-sharp Cheddar (preferably English; rind removed if necessary), grated (4 cups)
4 bacon slices (3 1/2 oz total), cooked and crumbled
1. Wash leeks in a bowl of cold water, agitating water, then lift out leeks and drain in a colander.
2. Cook leeks, carrots, celery, garlic, and bay leaf in butter in a 4-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
3. Reduce heat to moderately low and sprinkle flour over vegetables, then cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes.
4. Add milk, broth, and beer in a stream, whisking, then simmer, whisking occasionally, 5 minutes.
5. Stir in Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt, and pepper.
6. Add cheese by handfuls, stirring constantly, and cook until cheese is melted, 3 to 4 minutes (do not boil).
7. Discard bay leaf.
8. Serve sprinkled with bacon.