From the American Brewers’ Review vol. XII
Louisiana. – The new Standard Brewing Co., of New Orleans, had a formal opening the 12th inst. The company was organized Jan. 19, of the present year, with a capital stock of $100,000. The officers and directors are: Henry Armbruster, president; Chas. Wirth, vice president; Charles H. Schenck, secretary and treasurer; Peter Blaise, superintendent, and Rudolph Klotz, brew-master.
The building, which is seven stories in height, is divided in the center by a driveway. One side of the building is utilized exclusively for brewing purposes, and the other for cold storage. The machinery consists of two DeLaVergne refrigerating machines, with a capacity of thirty-five tons and a 40-horse power steam engine, which operates the brewing machinery, and nine steam pumps located in different portions of the building for purposes of pumping water, beer and air. In the boiler room there is a steam plant, consisting of two 150-horse power Wood water-tube boilers. A duplex plunge pump serves to feed the boilers with water, which is heated by a copper coil heater. A receiver is located in the boiler room to catch the condensed water and this receiver is also used for feeding boilers. On the delivery of malt in the brewery the sacks are emptied into a spout, which runs into an elevator, which conveys the malt into the bin.
On the ground floor of the brew-house proper is the hop jack, twelve feet in diameter and five feet high. Adjoining the hop jack is a duplex pump, which takes the beer from the tank and pumps it up to the “Baudelot cooler,” on the seventh floor. On the second floor there is a kettle of 130 barrels. Opposite this kettle on an elevated platform is the mashtub. On the second floor just above the engine room are the ammonia condensers. On the third floor some of the malt bins are located. On the fourth floor are three large round tanks, with copper bottoms, which serve the purpose of heating water and rice. The adjoining room contains the driving apparatus for the freight and passenger elevator. On the same floor is a room refrigerated in the same manner as the cellars, and in which is stored the stock of hops. The sixth floor is occupied by the malt mills. There are 23 storage vats of 175 barrels capacity each. The wash-house, which is also provided with improved machinery, is situated on the ground floor adjoining the brewery cellars. From this apartment a door leads into the pitching room.
The stable in the rear of the building proper is two stories high, 150 feet in length and has a capacity of thirty head. Opposite the stable is the wagon shed capable of housing ten wagons. Fronting on the street is a handsome residence occupied by the brewmaster and his family. The yard, which is large and roomy, is paved with vitrified brick.
American Brewers’ Review March 1917
New Orleans.—The Standard Brewing Co. awarded to the Goetz Company an order for one new hop jack 11×5 ft. with slotted false bottom, one hot water tank 12 x 10 x 7 ft., with exhaust steam heating coil and live steam heating coil, and a ﬂoat and gauge board.
nota bene. Standard Brewing Co. was located at S. Prieur and Perdido streets on the present site of University Hospital. It operated from 1898 until 1947 when it was sold to American Brewing Co. and operated as “Plant #3.” The facility was closed in 1951.